Friday, June 19, 2009

Mille TheNurse Has Taken A Facebook Quiz and her result is: Confused

I am tired of Facebook quizzes, I really am. It used to be that I would sign on to my Facebook page and be greeted by pictures and updates from my friends, actual information that I might actually care about. Now everytime I open up the ol' FB my entire wall is covered with endless quizzes taken on topics I don't care about by people I sometimes just barely know.


Now, I'm all for taking stupid quizzes to amuse yourself/procrastinate/zone out boring classes, but do you REALLY have to put them all on display? I know our culture is getting more and more self absorbed and most people have an inate fear of being forgotten but I'm not 100% sure that this is that way to go.


Just for illustration purposes I went back 24 hours through my wall posts. In that time this is what people have found out about themselves:


-5 people are prego- 1 of whom is a boy. Not totally sure about the science behind that one.

-2 girls should name their first child Vanessa, 1 should name hers Sara (apparantly she will be a tomboy)

-Someone's Filipino name is Esperanza (don't worry, I still like you, even though you did a quiz)

-3 people are passionate kisses, one is a lip biter.

-Someone has schitzophrenia. That one might actually be true.

-1 guy is the element light and the periodic element Neon, Hitler, the pink Power Ranger, Codename V, chocolate ice cream, a rainy day, an oatmeal cookie, England, a member of the Psi Delta Fraternity, a beer bong, Conan O'Brian, blue, heavy metal music and an elephant.


I just don't get it. Add to all the quizzes the endless "Favorite 5 lists" and "Fan of" postings....does anyone have a private life at all anymore? I just learned through a friend the other day that if someone in a relationship changes their relationship status to single, FB changes the other person's status too. That means its possible that all the people on your friends list will know you've been broken up with before you do. How effed is that?


I want to know what drives people to answer and post those quizzes.


(You will all please ignore the fact that I just ranted about oversharing on a blog, the homeland of self-indulgent public displays of emotion.)



1 comment:

  1. I click on "Status Updates" on the left-hand side and save myself scrowling through the other crap.

    ReplyDelete