Saturday, June 13, 2009

Confidential Smonfidential

Over the past two weeks many funny things have happened to me. They've caused me to bust a gut laughing and, as I like you guys, I'd like to share them with you.

But I can't.

Nursing is the kind of world where things happen that people don't want their friends and family to find out about. For (a totally made up) example cute old grannies go loopy post surgery and spend two days in a "gerichair"- basically a big highchair that only Houdini could wiggle out of. Respectable, stable, adult people defecate in their clothing, projectile vomit from one end of a room to the other and go so cucko for cocoa pops on morphine that they have in depth conversations with their bedsheets. People yell, scream, curse, bawl like babies, throw tantrums like teenagers and basically act in a way that would, in any normal situation, have other people doing the "don't look at the crazy person" eye shuffle. Alot of the time it's annoying, as crazy people take up way more time than the totally sane ones. But sometimes it's so freaking funny, I just want to share.

But I can't.

One of the major ethical things in nursing is confidentiality. It's not as simple as it seems at first. I mean, there's the obvious stuff. If Joe Brown comes into the hospital with a raging case of genital warts and I let it slip to Mrs. Brown that she may want to be getting some testing done herself, that's a big no-no. Pretty basic. But it gets a lot more intense than that. If I am at a coffee shop talking to someone I work with and I happen to mention that I know one of my clients has got the crazys big time and the sister of another patient overhears and recognizes me as a nurse from that facility and now knows that someone on her brothers ward is a psychopants and freaks out and takes her brother off the ward......yeah, that's a breach of confidentiality too.

It's not really fair. I know that it's important to protect people's privacy and stuff but really, what am I supposed to gossip about? When I was travelling I had no such boundaries. What I saw, I could blog. Even when I was in school I mocked the heck out of people on here. But now I'm on my own. I'm the only student in the whole facility and since I like my preceptor and don't yet feel confident enough to make fun of the rest of the staff the only thing left to gossip about is the goofy clients we have.

But I can't.

If I can't talk about things like (hypthetically) watching someone making an apple bong to smoke their medicinal marijuana and then, when stoned and forgetful, eating the apple and asking why it tastes so weird, what am I going to blog about? Is this the end of Millie?

No comments:

Post a Comment