Thursday, June 18, 2009

Dear 2009: 2008 Still Wins (But You're Doing Better)

Dear 2009,

So, my last letter was a little harsh. To be fair to me, being with you up to that point had been 2 months of icy chill. You didn't warm up anytime soon after that either. You taunted me with a bit of warmth and sunny demeanour and then snatched it away. I have to say, '09, that until recently I've still been pretty upset with you.

You may think I'm being unfair but really, you made liking you difficult. Do you realize I haven't sat in a class 5 days a week since my ill fated relationship with '07? After that ended I ran away to Asia and '08. It's actually kind of impressive that I stuck around you as long as I did. Especially when I think of the people I had to hang out with. '09, your friends suck. How did you manage to find so many stupid people and put them all in one class? While I will admit that there were one or two winners in there the majority of them would have benefited from a good 10cc of air IV. The friends that I brought with me from previous years were really the only things that kept me going.

But things are finally starting to look up for us I think. There is maybe, just maybe, a chance that we can pull this relationship out of the nosedive that was the first 5 months of the year.

You've really come through with this move thing, first off. Who knew that there was a nursing job that I would like THIS much anywhere in the world? While it might not be everyones cup of tea talking down people that do so much crystal meth their brains are so fryed that you have to trick them into taking their pills in the manner you would a five year old (come on, they taste good!) I really love it. I guess you knew me a little better than I thought.

And living on the coast is working out pretty well too. You've really started to come out of your shell '09. Partying in downtown Vancouver, getting so drunk that we get lost on the way to the beach, chugging gin and grapefruit pop out of a 2 litre bottle while sitting on a log and watching the sunrise? That's something I never saw us doing together. I mean, sure, you still have a long way to go to catch up with '08, but you're really starting to hold your own now. You're starting to let me stretch my legs a bit and it's making all the difference.

So, '09, I think it's time I cut you some slack. Sure you were boring in the beginning, but at least I got to spend a lot of time with Treesh and Meg and Robin before I had to take off. And maybe all we did was go to the gym and pretend to pay attention in school, but at least I got fit out of the deal. Maybe you just knew what I needed at the time. I still don't understand why you ever thought Tian was a good idea though.

Keep things headed in the direction they're going now and I might stop wishing that you were last year. Someday.

Millie

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy for you two!

    But what is this gin and grapefruit pop weirdness?

    ReplyDelete