Friday, May 22, 2009

Nursing: Killing Perfectly Healthy People Since God-Knows-When

I took one of two pharmacology exams I have to pass in order to be a nurse today. It was open book (yay!) and written by my least favorite instructor. Below are two actual questions from the two exams. Don't worry, I know not everyone that reads this is a nurse, so I'll explain.

1. What IV solution would the nurse most question giving to a woman on potassium-sparing diuretics?

a) Normal Saline
b) D5W
c) NS with 40 meq K
d) water

Ok, here's the breakdown. Normal saline is just what it sounds like. Normal. A-OK. D5W just has some extra sugars in it. As long as she's not diabetic it's also par for the course. I would be seriously cautious giving normal saline with added potassium (K) as the meds she's on makes your body hold onto potassium like an OCD hermit holds onto tupperware. Apparently that was the right answer. Which at first makes sense. Giving extra potassium makes your body do fun things like have major seizures. Not cool. The only thing that makes this 100% wrong is that you also have the option to choose d) water. Giving extra potassium= possible bad things. Giving WATER through an IV line makes this happen:

That's right. Injecting water into the blood stream makes your red blood cells swell up and BURST. Your blood sees the water and guzzles it, frat party style. And then dies.

So, of course, when the world's smartest teacher (from here on in referred to as TWST) announced that the answer was C I put up my hand and asked why it wasn't D. Her reply?

" We wouldn't use tap water"

Oh good. We may make their red blood cells explode, but at least we won't give them sepsis. I feel better.

That was on the first exam. The next gem is from today's.

2. A mother asks an RN who gave her child a vaccination "How do I make her feel better?". The nurse should answer
a) "Don't be so weak, she'll be fine."
b) "Put a cold pack on the injection site"
c) "Give her baby aspirin"
d) "Put a warm compress on the injection site."

Ok, this one isn't QUITE as stupid. But still. I'm thinking that in response to "How do I make her feel better the nurse should, perhaps, answer "What is the matter". Because C (the official correct response) may make a slightly swollen injection site feel better, but it's not going to do a whole heck of a lot for anaphylactic shock......sorta a majorly scary adverse reaction to being vaccinated. When I asked TWST what I was expected to make of this question I was told

"It's right there in the question. She's got a swollen injection site."

I copied the question word for word. Does anyone else see any mention of a swollen injection site in there? I didn't think so.

You know what makes me extra lucky? I, and I alone, have TWST for a practicum instructor. Think of all the individual attention. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment